OK, so the interior updates are taking a bit longer than I hoped, but slow progress is better than no progress 🙂 I want to try to make some kind of rear overhead storage unit, so I’ve been busy taking measurements of the rear roof area of the bus and busting out some old skool tools and skills to try to make some test templates from pieces of card.
Not had much opportunity to use my old Ecobra spring bow compass since school days, but on occasions such as this, I’m glad I kept it along with my other technical drawing bits and pieces. Combining this with some digital CAD drawing to try to get the best of both worlds, ancient and modern.
I managed to find some old engineering style drawings which I’ve digitally converted to help get a better idea of the roof profile of the rear roof. So combining this with some pencil and paper, I’ve produced a cardboard template I can test out as a first draft to see how close it fits to the section profile of the roof…
Not a bad for a first trial fit! I’ve got some spare/scrap plywood that I can use to make a more accurate and realistic test piece from, my next objective to seeing if I can make an overhead unit somehow. In the meantime, some short-term win encouragement. Time to break out my Dads ancient soldering iron and solder to put a cigarette lighter style plug onto a fused extension lead.
Now I can connect this up to the separate auxiliary fuse box run from the leisure battery and hook up the fridge freezer on out next trip out… at last we will have usable electrical power in the rear area of the bus! 🙂