Having spent a while getting all the sizes and dimensions sorted, and the flexible ply cut, I finally had both pieces of the cab section of the headliner ready. These potentially were the most difficult pieces to make. Hopefully, the other sections for the rest of the bus should be a bit easier to make. Time will tell on that…
Flexible ply fitting
So off to the bus once again for the first test fitting of the cab section of the headliner. It seems that all the subtle little adjustments I made have paid off. The two pieces seemed to fit very much hand in glove.
Amazing how much difference having the two pieces in place made to the feel of the interior. The ply was not in its final finished state, but it gave a gave an impression of how the interior will end up looking.
Choice of finishes
I could use matt varnish or maybe danish wood oil and beeswax for the final finish of the ply? Not sure if that would look right in the bus? It might just look too new? I’ve got some other ideas I need to play around with later that might also work. Different flat matt paint and a bit of distressing treatment to give it more of an aged look? That’s for another day once all the panels are ready!
Dimension details make the difference
The flexible ply dealt really well with the double curvature shape of the cab roof. It helped create nice smooth, clean lines. Have to say, although I had grown fond of the funky silver insulation finish, the ply was definitely growing on me!
Cutting the thin flexible ply sheet with a sharp knife worked well. It helped get a very neat and very precise shape. Nice to see a pretty snug fit in all the awkward little areas.
The final fitting
It was getting a bit late on in the afternoon, so apologies about the murky/grainy images/video. I just wanted to double-check that everything on both sides fitted ok!
Next stage headliner
It was good to see both pieces of the cab headliner in place. Means I can move on to the next phase. The middle section of the bus was next to do.
In theory, this should be a bit easier to do as it is just a single curvature to contend with that spans from either side of the bus. However, as in all things, there are a few little details that would need resolving along the way.
I need to make allowances for how the ply headliner goes around the front overhead vent in the cab area. Plus in the rear, there is an overhead light to work around too. Looks like I’ll be making a few more templates once again then!