the fitted 3-bow roof rack looks the business

nice rack

With the summer weather in effect, it has been great to be getting out and about in the vintage VW camper and make the most of both the glorious weather and the beautiful countryside and coastline in the south-eastern corner of England.

One of the jobs that I had been meaning to get around to, was to make some protective feet or covers for the feet of my 3-bow roof rack. I had taken the rack off in the winter with the intention of getting this little detail sorted, but my good intentions had got some what sidetracked! Well, Fathers day and gong to a local classic car show, finally prompted me to get my act together to get the job sorted at last!

outer roof rack foot removed for measuring…
outer roof rack foot removed for measuring…

For ease of measuring and trial fitting of my new foot protectors, I removed the outer clamp off of one of the legs of the 3-bow roof rack…

a sharp knife soon saw some double sided adhesive foam strips cut to size
a sharp knife soon saw some double-sided adhesive foam strips cut to size

…and cut to width a strip of double-sided adhesive backed closed cell foam that I had bought ages ago in preparation of doing the job! The strip was then cut to length (x6) for each of the roof racks feet. I allowed enough to fully wrap around the base of the foot plus extend up the side of the support to ensure that the metal of the rack was protected from coming into direct contact with the split screen campers roof metal gutter section.

self-adhesive foam strip positioned and stuck in place
self-adhesive foam strip positioned and stuck in place

Once complete, I repeated the process to make protective covers for the outer clamp of the 3-bow roof rack.

process repeated for the roof racks outer feet
process repeated for the roof racks outer feet

With all of the new protective covers in place on the 3-bow roof racks feet/clamps, it was time to put the roof rack in place and tighten all the clamps up nice and securely. It was only at this point I realised I had missed a trick with the positioning of the double-sided adhesive backed closed cell foam pads on the outer clamps, can you spot it?!

the roof racks feet fit on the camper is nice, neat and discreet
the roof racks feet fit on the camper is nice, neat and discreet

In my haste I should have reversed the positioning of the double-sided adhesive backed closed cell foam pads on the outer clamps so that the foam protected the outer edge of the roof gutter from the inside face of the outer clamp, not the other way round! Doh! Schoolboy error for rushing to go out and play in the sun!

the re-made outer clamp protective coverings
the re-made outer clamp protective coverings

So after removing the wrong size/positioned outer clamp covers, or should I just call them the v1 trial versions, I remade and refitted some new ones to complete the job!

the fitted 3-bow roof rack looks the business
the fitted 3-bow roof rack looks the business

However, the end result is worth the effort as the 3-bow rack looks great, so time to head off to the Classic car show…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: