my new camper interior starts taking shape


Me being a bit OCD in nature, I was glad I had decided to make a few little tweaks to my development and testing templates. The unit will literally be over my head when trying to get to sleep in the bus. Any little aggravations would literally be staring back at me morning and night when in bed! Each little tweak has helped refine the design to the point where things are finally at the point where I can crack on and start making my Westfalia inspired overhead locker…

final amends to the template create a nice snug fit

final amends to the template create a nice snug fit

The cut outs around the tailgate hinges work nicely and give plenty of clearance to the moving components when opening/closing. The roof profile with a couple of minor adjustments for the front fascia is also looking good. When both templates are in position you could almost believe there is the beginnings of an overhead locker in progress! 🙂

the testing pays off, we have the beginnings of an overhead locker

the testing pays off, we have the beginnings of an overhead locker

Still a few bits to resolve, like the optimum size for the door opening? Ideally looking to store a couple of outside chairs in the locker. So after checking measurements for the chairs, creating a scale dummy locker space to try fitting the chairs through the opening and into the space, I finally got that bit of the design resolved.

template testing for the door opening

template testing for the door opening

Now it was time to move from template testing to the real thing! A friend had very kindly leant me a router so that I could run a support groove in the back of the front facia. This would provide a neat and invisible support to the front edge of the shelf. Then being supported on all four edges, it should be really strong!

routing out the shelf support groove

routing out the shelf support groove

Then it was time to transfer the final template door opening dimensions over to the actual piece of plywood and cut out the opening with the jigsaw. This should mean I can use the removed piece of plywood as a perfectly sized/shaped flush fitting door! 🙂

from testing to the real thing

from testing to the real thing

With the main structural elements of the overhead locker all cut out, it’s time to begin the finishing processes like filling/sanding etc. before we can get a bit funky with the finished look of the locker. For this, I have some fun plans in mind… 😉

Leave a Reply