Looking a little worse
Working under the bus, I was admiring just how solid the original metal was, and what amazing condition the original paint was like in the wheel arches. Things could have been a whole lot worse when you start cleaning and stripping things back. However, one of the guys at Resto Classics just happened to notice a couple of tiny pinholes of light coming in from above where the passenger seat was?
Not so bad
It’s funny what you notice when you have a different perspective! We removed the front seats to see, apart from an area that hadn’t been cleaned for a while, there were some small areas of surface rust under the seats. Once the surface rust had been cleaned back to bare metal, we could see the extent of the pinholes. The passenger side was worse.
The good news was that it was not that much of an issue. The tiny holes were no way structural or too bad. Borderline I guess for my OCD nature in terms of thinking about whether or not it was worth welding a new section in or not?
Long-lasting quick fix
In the end, I decided it really was not such a major issue. The tiny holes were not causing any issues, they were definitely not structural problems and the rust could be safely treated and stopped with some Granville Rust Cure, Heavy Duty Rust Converter. So the small holes were sealed over and waterproofed with seam sealer. Not a ‘concourse’ solution I know, you could say a bit of a temporary fix, but appropriate to my needs at this time and sufficient to last a good few more years, probably longer!
Needs a clean
Under the driver’s side seat and the spare wheel well were not as bad once cleaned up. I really need to get the seats out and give everything a proper clean rather than a quick sweep out once in a while!
Dirty but solid
No holes were found, so once cleaned up, any previously affected bare areas of metal were treated with Granville Rust Cure just as a preventative measure.
Original metal and paint
The same approach was taken when cleaning up and surface prepping the original paint wheel arches. The original factory-applied L53 Sealing Wax Red paint had done an excellent job in terms of protecting the bus from the elements. Supper solid and clean where it counts! 🙂
I guess things always tend to look a bit worse before they get better. I’m hoping that after all the elbow grease that has gone into the surface preparation, that when the Epoxy Mastic 121 gets applied, it will be worth the effort!
Things will get better
In a strange way, it’s a shame to be painting over the areas of original paint underneath the bus. After all these years of protective service, its really stood the tests of time. However, with the surface prep on the underside of the bus complete, time to break out a brush, mix up some Epoxy Mastic 121 and get started on some paint protection, and this time I’m on my own…