Make your own table they said, it will be fun they said… well once you’ve gone through the process of applying 10 different coats of Ronseal Diamond Hard Interior quick-drying Matt Varnish, it feels like the fun just keeps on giving! However, finally getting nearer to having a finished table top at last! 🙂
With the original Anthony Burrill designed Letterpress poster inspired top completed, it was time to screw the Devon style aluminium edge trim from Camper Interiors to the tabletop edge. Love this trim! It adds a nice retro touch inspired finish to the table as well as serving the more practical purpose of protecting the table edge.
Cool letterpress tabletop
I opted for the black rubber insert to slide into the middle of the trim to complete the look and cover the screw heads. Top tip for inserting the rubber trim (or for when fitting window rubbers!), first give a quick spray of Silicone Spray Lubricant before inserting the rubber, it makes the whole process so much easier!
Funny how little things can make such a difference. Adding the Devon style aluminium edge trim changes everything. Suddenly it begins to feel like a proper table now!
I propped the tabletop up to get a better impression of what it will be like to sit at and use in the bus. Not always the biggest fan of my own work, but even I have to admit that I’m pretty pleased at how it has come out. The matt varnish is ace, a really subtle and smooth finish, a bit like having a matt laminate on the table. This will really make a nice feature in the camper once I get it all fitted in place…
For the underneath of the table, I gave it a light spray of the platinum metallic silver to allow some of the grain/texture of the wood to come through. When the leg is actually fitted, it will contrast nicely with the typographic top of the table. Feels like a good start has been made, but it will be great to get it actually fitted into the bus before the HO17 Hessisch Oldendorf show in Germany later this month…
However, to get the table fitted, I first need to get the interior panels done so that there is something to fix the tabletop too. Looks like I’ve got my work cut out to get all this done in time…