new rubbers fitted to the four inside edges of the vent cover plate

a watery elephant in the bus – small things done are better than great things planned

Although I had bought a full set of door and window rubbers to make the bus water tight, there was still a watery elephant in the bus. This was the big hole in the overhead vent box where I had started refurbishing the vintage ‘air con’ system, but not got around to finishing  it off. Having started the refurbishment of my overhead vent (that leaks when it rains!), it makes sense to get that job finished off first. Nothing gives better motivation than getting a wet leg when driving in the rain! 🙁

new rubbers fitted to the four inside edges of the vent cover plate
new rubbers fitted to the four inside edges of the vent cover plate

The recently bare metalled and re-painted vent cover plate could now be fitted with new rubber seals on the four inside edges. These were glued in place with contact adhesive prior to it being screwed back into place. However, first I needed to fix the initial cause of the rain leak, a missing inner foam seal.

German quality air box inner foam seal glued in place
German quality air box inner foam seal glued in place

One of the main reasons I suspect the overhead vent leaked in the first place was that it was missing this inner foam seal. Replacement parts were possibly harder to get back in the day, and the temporary mastic seal used as a replacement had gone well past the stage of preventing rain getting in! As part of the refurbishment kit I had bought from Custom and Commercial, I made sure to buy a German quality replacement inner foam seal to fit (with some more contact adhesive) in place. The foam seal fits behind the inner vent flap, so that the vent can close up tight against it, creating a weather tight seal when in the closed position.

the new vent flap rubber and new foam seal make a good air/water tight seal
the new vent flap rubber and new foam seal make a good air/water tight seal

With the refurbished, painted inner vent flap with its new rubber seal securely pop riveted in place and the new foam seal fitted, the overhead vent box should now be pretty air and water tight now – no more wet knees from dripping rain water as I drive along! 🙂

with the vent cover back in place you would not know the work that has been done!
with the vent cover back in place you would not know the work that has been done!

With the original paint vent cover secured back in place, you would never really know the various bits of work that have gone on behind it. However my OCD self will know and that’s what really counts! That plus a happy wife and a dry knee when driving in the rain!

Note to self: Small things done are better than great things planned! 🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: